The famous Hollywood sign in Mount Lee originally read "Hollywoodland." It was erected in 1923 to advertise a new housing development in the hills above Hollywood.
When it was new the Hollywoodland sign was lit up at night by thousands of light bulbs, taken care of by a man who lived in cabin behind one of the L's.
For several years the sign was left to deteriorate. In 1949, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce stepped in and offered to remove the last four letters and repair the rest.
The sign is now a registered trademark and cannot be used without the permission of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which also manages the venerable Walk of Fame.